Littlewood Farm is located at the beautiful Independence Farm, one of Lake County’s most beautiful equestrian establishments serving the Chicago area and northern suburbs. Independence Farm is nestled among over 100 acres alongside the scenic Independence Grove Forest Preserve.
Independence Farm has a large, heated barn with three wide, brick-paved aisles and good ventilation. All stalls are 12’x12′ with a limestone base for drainage, and rubber mats for comfort and hygiene. We bed our stalls deeply with premium pine shavings and clean them at least once a day. The barn is clean and well-kept, with good ventilation and a nice breeze in the summer. Our indoor arena is 80×200 with skylights running the entire length of the roof, providing ample natural light in the daytime. It’s well lit at night, and heated in the winter.
The outdoor facilities do not disappoint. We have two large, outdoor rings, a hunt field, an enormous hay field, and direct access from our property to the horseback riding trails along the Des Plaines River. The turnout at Daybreak is some of the best in Chicago. We have eleven three-quarter acre grass paddocks and a small limestone paddock for horses that shouldn’t be turned out on grass.
For our visitors, we offer a heated and air-conditioned viewing room with club chairs and sofas. The second floor viewing room overlooks the indoor arena, providing a comfortable and clean place from which visitors can watch the horses and riders. The clubroom also provides access to free WiFi Internet access and cable TV. If you’re feeling more adventurous, you’ll also want to check out some of the other attractions nearby.
- Turn out on a regular schedule (weather permitting) seven days a week. Blanketing and booting are provided as needed.
- Grain offered 2-3 times per day with unlimited hay
- Stalls cleaned multiple times throughout the day and generously bedded
- On site laundry services
- Clipping and mane pulling provided as needed
- Medication management and administration
- All vet and farrier scheduling
- Assisting with all veterinary services
- We offer lessons for all skill levels at any age from 5 years old and up
- We offer a variety of school horses and ponies
- Shareboard opportunities available
- Summer Camps
- Lessons may be purchased individually or in a package.
- 30 minute lesson is $55.00
- A package of 11 lessons is $550.00
- Please call us or visit our sale horse page for the most current information on all of our horses and ponies for sale and lease. If we do not currently have what you are looking for, we would be happy to help you in your search for the perfect hunter, jumper, or equitation partner.
- Matching rider and horse to bring up ultimate potential